All of these devotionals are the result of my own personal reflection on God's word. If you find these devotionals helpful, please subscribe and share them! Thank you for reading!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Luke 17:10

"So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'"


Whoever thinks that they can gain favor with God through works of the Law is a fool.  So too is the man who expects praise for what he was supposed to be doing anyways.  Can anyone expect praise for doing only the bare minimum of what is required?  When the world comes to me with praises and compliments as if to puff me up, saying such things like "Oh what a good person you are!", the only honest response I could give is "I have only done what is required and no more."

If you were really honest with yourself, how much time do you waste every day?  I can't help but think that back when Christians were being persecuted for their faith it was a whole lot easier to be a Christian because we didn't distract ourselves from actually living full and meaningful lives with meaningless media entertainment.  We sacrifice lives for entertainment.  My guilt hangs heavy on my heart.  O Lord help us!

But imagine the world if we spent 15 minutes less on the internet and 15 more in prayer, an hour less on TV and an hour more reading our Bibles.  I know a bit more intimately now what it means to be saved by grace, wretched and lazy servant that I am. O Sovereign Lord, save us from ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment