All of these devotionals are the result of my own personal reflection on God's word. If you find these devotionals helpful, please subscribe and share them! Thank you for reading!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

John 6:68

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."


These are the words engraved on a plaque in my father's room.  Oftentimes, they are the only thing that stands between me and complete dismissal of faith as psychological phenomenon. Perhaps Freud was right, and all this is just wishful thinking, but what else do I have?  Where else do I have to turn to?  Perhaps you feel the same way.

Now this may seem that I am trapped by my faith, that even if I wanted to leave, I couldn't.  The fact of the matter is, if Jesus Christ truly is the Holy One of God, there is no reason to ever want to leave.  If there is even a remote chance that this is true, then it would be worth dying for.  I know better than to get rid of the one thing that keeps me alive.  Just as there is no reason to ever put a brick in a washing machine, there is no reason to turn from God.  When times get tough, why abandon God? Isn't He the only one who is able to help you?

Perhaps Jesus isn't all you thought him to be.  Perhaps he doesn't live up to your expectations like the disciples who deserted him.  However, if you let go of all your expectations you will never be disappointed again.  Jesus is as unpredictable as he is unchanging. Persevere until the end and you may just be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment