All of these devotionals are the result of my own personal reflection on God's word. If you find these devotionals helpful, please subscribe and share them! Thank you for reading!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2 Corinthians 5:5-6

"Now it is God who has made us for [eternal life] and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.  Therefore we are always confident and know as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord."


Am I "saved"?  That is the burning question I've asked myself for a long time. I had no clue how you could ever have any assurance of such a thing.  You can't earn grace so thusly I cannot at any given time control how much of it I have.  I cannot simply refill on grace if I need some extra (and I do).  It is not a commodity to be traded through indulgences.  If salvation was a process and grace a gift, then one could never know if they've received it until they stood before the King.

Or so I thought.

It is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit which is the guarantee of salvation.  It is God's presence with us now that is his promise of eternal life, as it was in Exodus, as it was at Bethlehem, and as it is within our bodies.  We may sin and we may even turn our back on God, but the true mark of salvation is that God will always pull us back to Him no matter how far we go.  Salvation is a flawless path because it's God himself who does it.  So does the Spirit reside within you? Are you "saved"?

No comments:

Post a Comment