All of these devotionals are the result of my own personal reflection on God's word. If you find these devotionals helpful, please subscribe and share them! Thank you for reading!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Psalm 131:1

"My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me."

Our position in life is that of humility.  Our hearts are not proud but instead laid low.  Conversely, our eyes are not haughty.  We do not look down on others but instead we lift them up and consider them better than ourselves.  But how often does our pride cause us to interfere and stick our noses in places they don't belong?

In a sense, robbing someone else of their privacy is an act of dominance and of pride.  A mother snooping in the affairs of her teenage daughter's room asserts her higher position, whether rightly or wrongly.  When you personally see to it that all of your brothers and sisters in Christ are being kept "accountable", you also act in pride.  With your actions you say, "They will sin if I am not keeping them in line.  They cannot be trusted."  When you assert yourself in places which do not concern you, you show your eyes to be haughty and your heart proud.

In the same way, there are some mysteries not meant to be understood, but just simply accepted and marveled.  The pride for knowledge is a dangerous game, for the more wise (and I mean in a worldly sense) one becomes, the more the foolish things will be used to shame them.  But true wisdom begins with the fear of the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment